Over the summer, I started working for a SUPER AWESOME company as a Social Media Intern. Everyone there was so happy, friendly, funny, and the company had great perks like catered lunches, a free ice cream and smoothie truck, treadmill desks, ping pong tables, a basketball court, etc. Everything was great. Even my first assignment was fantastic – to improve the company’s Pinterest page. Yes, I got to sit on Pinterest all day at work. I know you’re jealous.
After my internship, I was supposed to enter The College of William and Mary’s full-time MBA program. I was so excited to build new business skills. However, as my internship came to an end, I was heartbroken so to speak. I didn’t want to leave.
As I was ending my internship, the company announced they were looking to hire a Social Media Specialist full time. Here’s how I got the job:
- Always do more than everyone else expects.
- Rather than just working for your boss, help everyone. (Assuming your work is done.)
- Be positive. A “Happy Monday!” email can make everyone’s week, and keep you in their mind.
- Ask everyone about their day, and listen. Ask them about their families, weekends, relationships, etc.
- Ask for the job you want – if your boss doesn’t know you want the job, you’ll never get it.
- Take criticism well – if someone asks you to do something better or different, just change. Don’t make a big deal out of something small. Not everyone will love everything you do.
- Be flexible. This internship was only supposed to be a 2 month internship. I was supposed to go to school. When the opportunity arose, I jumped.
Now, you might be wondering what happened with the MBA program. When I accepted my position, I transferred to the part-time program for working professionals.
So…if you’re reading, I hope this helps you land your dream job, too!